Are you ready to celebrate Oktoberfest? Then let’s go to the “Wiesn” (as the Germans call it)! Oktoberfest is a 16-day festival held each year in Munich, Bavaria, Germany. Oktoberfest starts on September 18th and ends on October 4th, 2010!
This year’s Oktoberfest is a 15-day extravaganza of beer, wursts, pretzels, traditional drinking songs and, of course, more beer. With even more reason to celebrate in 2010, Oktoberfest celebrates its 200th birthday this year!
Here are some of the activities that you can participate in over on the Station forums:
Oktoberfest Portrait - Forum Challenge:
To celebrate Oktoberfest in the Bavarian style, we are holding an Oktoberfest Portrait Forum Challenge. All EverQuest II players are welcome to submit their best Oktoberfest-themed screenshots of their character enjoying drinking, dancing, and eating in a tavern or in a tent, keeping with Bavarian traditions.
What's Your Favorite Oktoberfest Recipe? It's kick-off time for Oktoberfest! Each September, roughly six million people descend on Munich for Oktoberfest, the largest beer festival in the world. Oktoberfest is a smorgasbord of food, beer, and entertainment.
We asked ten SOE Community managers to list their favorite German food and here are their answers:
- Amnerys- Schnitzel, and pretzels
- Brasse- Hot or cold sauerkraut.
- Draakul- Grilled bratwurst (chicken and pork but pork is traditional) with some very nice spicy Dusseldorf (this is a style or type) mustard, potato pancakes and apple sauce, red cabbage, and sauerkraut
- Kiara- Schnitzel!
- Minerva- Spaetzle and sauerkraut
- Shirra- Haxn & Klöße
- Soffrina-Wiener Schnitzel
- Zatozia- German Chocolate Cake
We know that traditional German food is delicious. Do you have a favorite German recipe that you can share with us?
- What is your favorite Oktoberfest food? - Get out your steins! It's the season of Oktoberfest. In Germany and many parts of the world Oktoberfest has become a large festival with plenty of food, beer, music and merrymaking. At the Munich Oktoberfest, the food is served in gargantuan portions; haunches of oxen and whole chickens are spit-roasted, while myriad sausages are steamed and served with sauerkraut and onions.
- What's your favorite part of Oktoberfest? - Oktoberfest is celebrating its 200th anniversary this year and the celebration will be on a gigantic scale. It has beer tents the size of airplane hangers, pretzels the size of steering wheels, and beers the size of Bavaria.
- What’s your favorite place at Oktoberfest? - Oktoberfest is a festival that celebrates beer, food and music. What's your favorite place during the Oktoberfest festivities?